Monday, June 2, 2008

Children in the "Worship Service"

I have thought about this a lot in the past and especially now that I have children of my own. So I would like to know your thoughts about having little children gather with the body for worship. Here are two blog entries that you can read. He is thinking through this issue and I have commented on one of his posts.

Read here and here.

Please respond and let me know your thoughts on this issue- and your biblical reasoning. I would like to hear from young, old, single, married, those with children and those without.

1 comment:

Jess Connell said...

I think there's a certain age where it is undoubtedly more difficult (for me, 8 months or so until 3-ish) to have your children with you in the service... particularly if there are more than one in the age range.

But I do think that churches are far too segregated. A nursery? Sure. But a separate "children's sermon"? Or an altogether separate "children's church"? These things cross the line for me and pass off what is the parent's responsibility to others. Even if they are well-educated (theologically-speaking), faithful (spiritually-speaking), mature (life-experientially speaking) believers, they are still not given the role of primary education about God in our children's lives. We are, as parents. And in order to do that effectively, I think we need to be aware of what "input" they're getting. When they're sitting next to us in the service and then we can review with them later what was discussed, and when we can see and hear what they are seeing and hearing, we are so much better equipped in the day-to-day discipleship we are called to.

All that to say, I can understand the need for babies to be sometimes taken out of the services (or lovingly cared for by other believers), but to extend that into the upper ages is (for me) usurping the parent's role as a discipler and trainer of their children.

And I say this for myself. I'm not speaking for others-- this would be my personal preference based on what I believe the biblical role of the parents are in a child's life.

Good topic. If you want to read more about this, you should check out Voddie Baucham's book "Family-Driven Faith"