Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Take My Heart Lord!

I have been thinking a lot about how our hearts, especially mine, wander from God so easily. I long to love Him and seek Him with all my heart, yet I fall short time and time again. Why do I run to sin when I am called to "Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good." as it says in Romans 12:9? I want to hate my sin and to put it to death. I know that my heart can be so full of pride. Pride is an awful thing that is at the heart of most of the sin I do. Thanks be to God for providing a way that I might live through Him. I am so grateful that I am not left in my own prideful hands, but that Christ took all my sin on the cross (Romans 6:1-14). I am also in the hands of a loving Father who does not leave me in my sin. "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians1:6 God is going to finish what He has started in me. He is going to make me complete one day and I will not struggle with my flesh, but will be perfect. I still have to fight sin and hate it now. The way to do that is with God's Word.

Something to put to memory is His Word so that I will be ready to fight sin and temptation with a powerful weapon. As the Scripture says in Psalm 119:9-12 "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes!" Seek God, store His Word in my heart, praise God... That I might live a life worthy of Him, for His glory.

I need to bind my heart to God, as it says in the verse of a hymn I love Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing:

O to grace how great a debtor Daily I’m constrained to be!Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love; Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments: