Concord Baptist Church is a group of redeemed sinners
seeking to display the glory of God
among our neighbors and the nations
by being gospel-shaped, gospel-sharing people.
I have enjoyed the Word that he has brought to us these past few weeks. This morning's sermon was on the Gospel. He made some great points that I wanted to share.
What is the Gospel?
1. The Gospel, at it's core is a historical event. 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
2. The Gospel is for us. 1 Corinthians 15:3 (Christ died for our sins ) That is the meaning of the Gospel, it is good news for us.
What is gospel-shaped?
It is meant to define who we are, all of our life is to be shaped by the gospel.
We are all shaped by something- sports, image, entertainment, work, family... These are not bad things to a certain degree, but they can become what shapes us.
So... What defines you? What is shaping you?
I thought these were good questions. What is it in my life that is shaping me? Is it Christ and the Gospel or other things that I am conforming to? There are many things that try to conform me and I must confess it is not always the Gospel. But I want it to be!
Here is a clear description of what being gospel-shaped can look like:
* Believe the Gospel. Mark 1:14-15 The Gospel is everything. There is not a single moment of each and every day that I am not in need of believing the Gospel. It is not just for the unbeliever, but for the believer too. 1 Corinthians 15:1 The Gospel is for us to believe in and stand upon. I am so in need of the Gospel every moment of the day. It is when I am not standing on it, that I fall into sin!
*Love the Gospel. What you love is what shapes you. He gave five points from C.J. Mahaney's book The Cross Centered Life (a must read!)
2.Pray the Gospel.
3. Sing the Gospel.
4. Review how the Gospel has changed you.
5. Study the Gospel.
* Obey the Gospel. Galatians 2:11-14
All disobedience is out of step with the Gospel. The Gospel must affect every part of your life-your thoughts, actions, and activities. We should all live a life worthy of the Gospel. Philippians 1:27