Sunday, August 5, 2007

What is the Gospel?

My Pastor has been preaching about "Who is Concord?" This is the written description of who our church is:

Concord Baptist Church is a group of redeemed sinners
seeking to display the glory of God
among our neighbors and the nations
by being gospel-shaped, gospel-sharing people.

I have enjoyed the Word that he has brought to us these past few weeks. This morning's sermon was on the Gospel. He made some great points that I wanted to share.

What is the Gospel?
1. The Gospel, at it's core is a historical event. 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
2. The Gospel is for us. 1 Corinthians 15:3 (Christ died for our sins ) That is the meaning of the Gospel, it is good news for us.

What is gospel-shaped?
It is meant to define who we are, all of our life is to be shaped by the gospel.
We are all shaped by something- sports, image, entertainment, work, family... These are not bad things to a certain degree, but they can become what shapes us.

So... What defines you? What is shaping you?

I thought these were good questions. What is it in my life that is shaping me? Is it Christ and the Gospel or other things that I am conforming to? There are many things that try to conform me and I must confess it is not always the Gospel. But I want it to be!

Here is a clear description of what being gospel-shaped can look like:
* Believe the Gospel. Mark 1:14-15 The Gospel is everything. There is not a single moment of each and every day that I am not in need of believing the Gospel. It is not just for the unbeliever, but for the believer too. 1 Corinthians 15:1 The Gospel is for us to believe in and stand upon. I am so in need of the Gospel every moment of the day. It is when I am not standing on it, that I fall into sin!
*Love the Gospel. What you love is what shapes you. He gave five points from C.J. Mahaney's book The Cross Centered Life (a must read!)
1.Memorize the Gospel. 1 Cor. 15:3-4, Romans 5:6-11, Romans 6:23, 2 Cor. 5:21 (just a few)
2.Pray the Gospel.
3. Sing the Gospel.
4. Review how the Gospel has changed you.
5. Study the Gospel.
* Obey the Gospel. Galatians 2:11-14
All disobedience is out of step with the Gospel. The Gospel must affect every part of your life-your thoughts, actions, and activities. We should all live a life worthy of the Gospel. Philippians 1:27

No comments: