Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Books for Women

My heart yearns to know how to be a godly woman, mother, and wife. As Titus two tells us, older women are to mentor us and help us to love our husbands and children.

Titus 2:3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

I believe that several women have tried to help us to live out those scriptures. I have been challenged, informed, and encouraged by reading books related to being a virtuous woman. So I will recommend the following books.

The Excellent Wife is a wonderful book written by Martha Peace. This book is very difficult to read because you will be convicted and challenged to be a woman with a Biblical perspective on your marriage and life. She does a great job of taking God's word and explaining it.

Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney is an excellent book. This book is not only for wives and mothers, but I think that all women who want to be virtuous can read this and lean how to love and treat others. She basis the book on Titus 2 and goes through seven virtues of being a Godly wife and mother. I have read this book several times and have been reminded of what God has called me to be.


For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn is a book that tells you "what you need to know about the inner lives of men". That is exactly what she writes about. She spoke with men, made surveys, and interviewed men of all ages, believers and non-believers, and came up with this great book to help us. My husband gave it to me for Christmas and I was hesitant to read it, but I am very glad that I did. We had many great conversations about how he thinks. There was a lot that I did not know! I think that God used this book to change my actions so that I can help my husband more.

These are only three books that I have enjoyed reading. I am sure that there are more written on this subject. I would encourage women to read these books along with the Bible and seek out what it means to be a Godly woman. Always remembering that God's Word is the final authority!

No comments: