Monday, April 30, 2007

Philippians Part 1

I am studying the book of Philippians and want to share some insights which I am learning through this great Book in the New Testament. My Pastor has preached through this book in the past and I have heard others speak on it, but am enjoying studying it for myself. Philippians has been very challenging to me.

First, I want to look at the Apostle Paul, the writer of Philippians. Things I have observed from Chapter One and can learn from Paul:
1. Have a heart for the Gospel. Live you life worthy of the Gospel (Phil. 1:27-30)
2. See life through the lens of Christ.
3. Always seek to honor Christ with my body. (Phil. 1:19-21)
4. I should be in conflict with anything in opposition to Christ.

Next, All things are done for the Gospel! The Gospel was at the heart of Paul's ministry. All of life was to be lived in light of the Gospel.
His imprisonment was-
1. To advance the gospel (Phil. 1:12) How often do we have a "pity party" when something goes wrong in our life, yet it can be viewed so differently. God can use what is going on in our lives to advance His Gospel!
2. To confirm the Gospel (Phil 1:15-16)

He also calls for the Philippians, as well as me-
1.To live a life worthy of the Gospel (Phil. 1:27)
2.To strive for faith in the Gospel (Phil 1:27)
Paul was talking to the Philippians in that passage, but I think that the truth applies to the lives of believers today as well. We should be living lives that make the Gospel beautiful, lives that make God look great. We also should be "striving for faith" with our fellow believers.

Lastly, we will look at joy.
1. Joy comes through prayer. (Phil 1:3, 18b-19)
2. Joy comes through faith. (Phil1:25)
Our circumstances should not steal our joy. Joy is something deeper than where we are in life, it is rooted in our faith!

I look forward to learning more and sharing what I learn.

No comments: